Monday, October 20, 2014

Magnet Monday: Light Through the Windows

Cheesy Refrigerator Magnet for Monday, October 20, 2014
"Untitled", Frank Lloyd Wright window design, circa 2011



A recent art installation in Brooklyn Bridge Park of a stained glass house with Mondrian-like walls made me think of other great stained glass works. I don't know if Piet Mondrian ever did windows, but Frank Lloyd Wright certainly did. 

I'm a huge fan of FLW and the Prairie Style/Arts & Crafts aesthetic in general. Our Milwaukee Art Museum put together an exhibition of his drawings, plans, models, videos, some furniture, windows, you name it a few years ago. Which of course we went to. And... you know I can't resist a well-stocked gift shop...  I can't find if this particular pattern has a name, but I think it's the wheat motif. Unless I have it upside down, which is always possible, and then it would be a short version of his Tree of Life. Either way, it would make for a beautiful view. 


Magnet Monday features a selection from our semi-vast and ever growing collection of cheesy refrigerator magnets. Without doubt the perfect souvenir. Only slightly less cheesy than collecting snow globes but maybe a lot easier to smuggle in your bra. If need be. Which I hope it never is. Unless it's really worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment