Friday, January 2, 2015

The Twelve Days of Yule: Happy New Year!!!

Thank you 2014 - Hello 2015!!


My twelve days of merry yuletide giving have passed for this year. I really enjoyed finding ways to express our "attitude of gratitude." It's a solid reminder to be grateful for the ease of our lives, and that we have enough to share so we all make it through the cold.   

To recap: 
Day 1: Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin
Day 2: Peace Action Wisconsin
Day 3: Doctors Without Borders
Day 4: Schlitz Audubon Nature Center
Day 5: Dogs for Deaf and Disabled Americans
Day 6: The Livestock Conservancy
Day 7: Milwaukee Riverkeeper
Day 8: Kiva
Day 9: COA Youth & Family Centers
Day 10: Milwaukee Achiever Adult Literacy Services
Day 11: Adaptive Adventures
Day 12: Interfaith Older Adult Programs

Something else I learned to be grateful for: the shear breadth of efforts of people doing things to help others. I know I don't have the resources to help every person, every cause, every day, all the time. Like many people, I choose to focus on something meaningful to me. But: I can in turn support others and their passions, even in very small ways (because those add up, am I right?). And collectively, we get it done.

I found a number of groups I wanted to feature but ran out of days. I may wait until next Yule, or find other festivals through the year to celebrate with some giving. 

Historic Milwaukee: Since 1974, promoting interest and preservation of Milwaukee's architectural heritage. They have great walking tours! International Institute of Wisconsin: Immigrant resettlement and assistance, since 1936
Next Door Foundation: Early childhood education, since 1969
Project SNOWstorm: Tracking the southern irruption of Snowy owl migration.
VolunteerMatch.org: When you want to help, but don't know where to start.


If you followed along, or maybe even chose to do some gratitude attitude giving of your own, I hope you found joy in the experience. 

I wish for you and yours every happiness - may your 2015 be blessed!!


Image from The Graphics Fairy

Twelve Days of Yule = Twelve Days of Giving is a personal initiative by me at the SoMil Homesteader to bring some focus to a holiday about gratitude. I don't have any official connections to any of these organizations, other than being a very small donor. Peace out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment