Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pumpkin Spiced Mini-Muffins with Dark Chocolate Bits

I've been deep in use-it-up-before-you-have-to-throw-it-out mode. It started with Thanksgiving leftovers. We cook pretty regularly, and it's not unusual for us to accumulate the odd container or two in the fridge. They don't start out odd, but after lurking in the back of the fridge long enough...

I had leftover roasted pumpkin puree after making pie at Thanksgiving. Not wanting to leave it in the freezer until next year (not that I've ever done that...), I thought some bite-sized sweet treats for lunches would be ideal. Anything too starchy-sugary would leave me logey-headed for the afternoon, so I also thought something nut flour-based would be even better. 



I'm a huge fan of Danielle Walker and her recipes on Against All Grain. The Spiced Pumpkin Muffin in her Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great cookbook was just the ticket. 

I followed her recipe pretty much, except I substituted agave nectar for the honey (also using up the nectar), making it barely sweet; I think I will use honey next time. Although, I used dark chocolate morsels and I think the chocolate flavor really stands out in this version. And I tweaked the spices a little to suit our taste. I left out the pecans because I thought it might conflict with the almond flour base. Maybe next time I will add sliced almonds or coconut flakes on top for some crunch. 




Pumpkin Spiced Mini-Muffins
adapted from Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great
by Danielle Walker of Against All Grain

Dry ingredients

  • 2 c almond flour
  • 3 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon (we really like cinnamon)
  • 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Wet Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar (the original recipe called for honey or maple syrup; I definitely I'll use honey next time)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (I might use butter next time for the flavor)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions

  • Line a mini-muffin tin with paper liners. This recipe made 24 minis for me (the number will depend on the size of your minis - there are a couple sizes out there...).
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Add the dry ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. 
  • Add the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine (you can use the same whisk - save on dishes!). 
  • Add the dry into the wet, and mix well (wooden spoon duty).
  • Let it rest a few minutes and allow the coconut flour to hydrate and thicken the batter.
  • I found the batter too thick to pour, so I used a cookie scoop (about 1 inch size) to divide the batter into the liners. They also didn't rise much for me, so I filled them pretty full. 
  • Sprinkle a few chocolate pieces on top of each muffin.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the largest muffin comes out clean. 
  • Cool. Store in a container to keep 'em moist and tasty!





No comments:

Post a Comment