Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Linen Closet: Hanky for December 2, 2014

I posted the first of these linens in the Hanky Project in August. Since then, I've learned, well, to be honest, nothing new to add. Information about vintage handkerchiefs is hard to find. Our Milwaukee Public Library has some reference books in their Fine Art Reference collection. And I swear I will get there one of these days...

In the meantime, here's another hanky. The skill to make this one is so impressive. 



Each of these leaves was hand shaped, and the edges of the pieces folded over before sewing it onto the hanky square.



It has a nice layout. Very simple. Even the secondary corners have delicate decoration.



Up close, you can really see the hand done details. I keep thinking: this must have been what women of gentile leisure did to pass the time in the early 20th century. It has some blue to it - was this part of someone's trousseau?



The back is almost as finished-looking as the front. 



I have several handkerchiefs with these kinds of piecework additions. I'm hoping to learn more about them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment